Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Korean Phrasebook for Drama Lovers Abroad

Welcome to Korea!
hangug e osin geos-eul hwan-yeonghabnida! / 
한국에 오신 것을 환영합니다!

Like every international addict of K-entertainment, I’ve wondered what it would be like to go to Korea. In the unlikely event that the opportunity ever presents itself, I thought it might be advisable to create a personal phrasebook of things I’ll probably need to say.

With the help of Google translate, I give you the following essentials.*


AT THE AIRPORT

Will you take a picture of me standing in front of the sign?
dangsin-eun naegagiho ap-e seo ui sajin han jang jjig-eo jullaeyo?
당신은 내가 기호 앞에 서의 사진 한 장 찍어 줄래요?

Let’s pretend that we’re in a drama. You be the guy and chase me down the concourse.
ui uliga deulama e iss-eoyo igo . dangsin-eun geu salam ieoyahamyeo gwangjang naelyeo gasin.
의 우리가 드라마에 있어요이고. 당신은 그 사람이어야하며 광장 내려 가신.

Wait, are you really from security?
jamkkanman yo, dangsin-eun boan eseo jeongmal ingayo?
잠깐만 요, 당신은 보안에서입니까?

Oh. My passport?
o. nae yeogwon-eun?
. 내 여권은?

I’d rather not. It’s not a flattering picture.
anhaneun geos-i ohilyeo naa. i acheom sajin anibnida.
안하는 것이 오히려 나아. 이 아첨 사진 아닙니다.

Yes, I am from America.
, 미국에서 왔어요.
ne, migug eseo wass-eoyo.

Do I really need to call the embassy?
jeongmal daesagwan-e jeonhwa haeyahabnikka?
정말 대사관에 전화해야합니까?


AT THE HOTEL

Can I have a room where they filmed a drama?
geu salamdeul-ideulamaleul chwal-yeongbang-eul hal su issseubnikka?
그 사람들이 드라마를 촬영 방을 할 수 있습니까?

I have to pay how much extra to sleep on the floor?
naneun badag-e jam-eul eolmana chuga biyong-eul jibul haeyahabnikka?
나는 바닥에 잠을 얼마나 추가 비용을 지불해야합니까?

Whatever, it’s worth it. I’ll take the Korean-style room.
geuleolmanhan gachiga mwodeungan-e. jeoneun hangug jeog-in seutail-ui gaegsil eul deulibnida.
, 그럴만한 가치가 뭐든간에. 저는 한국적인 스타일의 객실을드립니다.

Wait! The bathroom is Western, right?
jamkkanman yo! yogsil-eun oleunjjog, seoyang ibnikka?
잠깐만 요! 욕실은 오른쪽, 서양입니까?


DINING OUT

How spicy are your spicy rice cakes?
gwihaui maeun tteog eun eolmana maeun ibnikka?
귀하의 매운 떡은 얼마나 매운입니까?

Do you have anything on the menu that isn’t spicy?
dangsin-eun maeun anin menyueseo mwolhaeyahaneun geoji?
당신은 매운 아닌 메뉴에서 뭘해야하는 거지?

Like...American not spicy?
machi ... migug an maeun?
마치 ... 미국 안 매운?

No, that’s too spicy. Way too spicy!
ani, geugeon neomu maewoyo ibnida. neomu maeun wei !
아니, 그건 너무 매워요입니다. 너무 매운 웨이!

Maybe something you would serve to children?
ama museun il-i dangsin-i aideul-ege bongsa kkayo?
아마 무슨 일이 당신이 아이들에게 봉사까요?



Yummy
mas-issneun / 맛있는

AT THE STREET VENDOR

No, nothing with intestines please. Definitely no liver or lungs.
ani, changja wa amu jusigi balabnida eobs-seubnida. mullon deo gan ina pye.
아니, 창자와 아무 주시기 바랍니다 없습니다. 물론 더 간이나 폐.

If I drink too much soju, will you piggyback me back to the hotel?
naega neomu soju leul masil gyeong-u, hotello jeoleul dasi hajagu su issseubnikka?
내가 너무 소주를 마실 경우, 호텔로 저를 다시 하자구 수 있습니까?

No, I don’t see any winners of the World’s Strongest Man Contest around here.
아니, 난이 주변 세계 최강의 남자 대회의 수상자가 표시되지 않습니다.
ani, nan i jubyeon segye choegang-ui namja daehoe ui susangja ga pyosidoeji anhseubnida.

Fine. Will you call me a cab then?
joh-ayo. na ege taegsileul han hu jeonhwa hae jusil geojyo?
좋아요. 나에게 택시를 한 후 전화 해 주실 거죠?


SHOPPING

What region are your DVDs?
gwihaui DVDneun eotteon jiyeog ibnikka?
귀하의 DVD는 어떤 지역입니까?

Could I buy a replica of Piggy Bunny here?
yeogi kkochdwaeji tokki ui bogjeleul gu-ibhal su issnayo?
여기 꽃돼지 토끼의 복제를 구입할 수 있나요?

Do you sell clothes for fat people?
dangsin-eun ttungttunghan salamdeul eul-wihan os eul panmaehago issseubnikka?
당신은 뚱뚱한 사람들을위한 옷을 판매하고 있습니까?

Like...American fat?
geuleonikka ... migug-ui jibang-eul?
그러니까 ... 미국의 지방을?

I don’t think you carry my size.
nae keugileul gajigo saeng-gaghaji anh-ayo.
내 크기를 가지고 생각하지 않아요.

I’ll take that hair tie, please. It seems to be the only thing here that would fit me.
geu meoli negtai halgeyo , jebal. na e ttag majneun yeogiseo yuilhan geos gatseubnida.
그 머리 넥타이 할게요, 제발. 나에 딱 맞는 여기서 유일한 것 같습니다.


AT THE BATHHOUSE

I don’t like being naked in front of strangers.
nan nachseon salam ap-e beolgeo beos-eun geol joh-ahaji anh-a.
난 낯선 사람 앞에 벌거 벗은 걸 좋아하지 않아.

That giant tub is just like in the Harry Potter books! 
geu geodaehan yogjohaeli poteo chaeg cheoleom doeeo issseubnida! 
그 거대한 욕조 해리 포터 책처럼되어 있습니다!

If you don’t put chlorine in there, how do you kill the bacteria?
geogie yeomsoleul neoh-eo haji anhneun gyeong-u , dangsin-eun bagtelialeul jug-igessseubnikka?
 거기에 염소를 넣어하지 않는 경우, 당신은 박테리아를 죽이겠습니까?

You don’t know me, but would you please scrub my back?
dangsin-eun nal moleujiman, nae jjog-eul ssisneun sigess-eoyo?
당신은 날 모르지만, 내 쪽을 씻는 시겠어요?

Can we order in noodles?
ulineun gugsu e jumunhaedo doelkkayo?
우리는 국수에 주문해도 될까요?




“Psst...what’s going on with your towel?”
"jamkkanman ... museun sugeon ege museun il-i ?"
"잠깐만 ... 무슨 수건에게 무슨 일이?"

AT THE SAUNA

Do you have an extra-large uniform?
dangsin-eun teug daehyeong yunipom-eul haeyahabnikka?
당신은 특 대형 유니폼을해야합니까?

Can I wear my street clothes, then?
geuleom, nae geoli os-eul ibgo hal su issseubnikka?
그럼, 내 거리 옷을 입고 할 수 있습니까?

Where do they sell those hard-boiled eggs?
eodi geu hadeu salm-eun dalgyal eul panmaehago issseubnikka?
어디 그 하드 삶은 달걀을 판매하고 있습니까?

How do you get the towel to stay on your head like that?
eotteohge tawol geuleon sig-eulo meoli e iss-eulgeoya?
어떻게 타월 그런 식으로 머리에있을거야?

How often do they wash these pillow things?
eolmana jaju salamdeul i begae mulgeon-eul ssis-eo habnikka?
얼마나 자주 사람들이 베개 물건을 씻어합니까?


SIGHTSEEING

Do you know where Gong Yoo lives? I won’t bother him. Just stare respectfully and think happy thoughts.
dangsin-eun gong yu i eodi saneunji ani? geu salam-eul gwichanhgehaji anh-eulgeoya. geunyang jeongjunghi eungsi hago haengboghan saeng-gag-eul saeng-gaghabnida.
당신은 공 유이 어디 사는지 아니? 그 사람을 귀찮게하지 않을거야. 그냥 정중히 응시하고 행복한 생각을 생각합니다.

Would you please take me to the Coffee Prince?
nakeopi peulinseu e delyeoda ju sigess-eoyo?
나 커피 프린스에 데려다 주 시겠어요?

Yes, I know it’s a dump and the prices are outrageous.
ye, naneun-yugi algogagyeog bakk-ui il-ilago saeng-gaghago issseubnida.
, 나는 유기 알고 가격 밖의 일이라고 생각하고 있습니다.

My trip will be incomplete if I don’t drink a ten-dollar mocha where Eun Chan once stood.
naneun eunhye chan han beon seoseo jeon-en dalleo moka leul an masimyeon nae yeohaeng-eun bul-wanjeon hal su issseubnida.
나는 은혜 찬 한 번 서서 전엔 달러 모카를 안 마시면 내 여행은 불완전 할 수 있습니다.

Do they have some package where I could spend the night on the cable car, like in Boys over Flowers?
geudeul-eun naega kkoch eul tonghae sonyeon eseo wa gat-i keibeulka eseo bam-eul bonael su-issneun myeoch gaji paekiji ga issseubnikka?
그들은 내가 꽃을 통해 소년에서와 같이 케이블카에서 밤을 보낼 수있는 몇 가지 패키지가 있습니까?

Oh. There’s a fine for writing your name on the wall?
o. beolgeum-eun byeog-e dangsin-ui ileum-eul jagseonghagiwihan ga?
.벌금은 벽에 당신의 이름을 작성하기위한가?

Do you accept credit cards?
dangsin-eun sin-yong kadeuleul sayonghal su issseubnikka?
당신은 신용 카드를 사용할 수 있습니까?


“Hit me baby one more time...”
" jeoege agileul han beon deo nulleo ..."
"저에게 아기를 한 번 더 눌러 …"


AT THE NORIBANG

How do I get this thing to work?
igeo eotteohge jagdong sikilyeomyeon eotteohgehaeya?
이거 어떻게 작동 시키려면 어떻게해야?

Is there any Bon Iver on here?
yeogie geogie bo Iver ibnikka?
여기에 거기에 보 Iver입니까?

I do a killer “Skinny Love.”
nan sal-injaga eotteohge “seukini salang-eul.”
난 살인자가 어떻게 "스키니 사랑을."

Or maybe “Mad World”?
animyeon "maedeu woldeu"?
아니면 "매드 월드"?

We’re supposed to sing happy songs?
ulineun haengbog nolae geo maj-ji?
우리는 행복 노래 거 맞지?

I’m sorry. I don’t know any.
mian haeyo. nan amu molla.
미안 해요. 난 아무 몰라.



AT THE DRAMA FILMING LOCATION

Do you need any Western extras for the big scene?
dangsin-eun keun jangmyeon e daehan seoyang egseuteula ga pil-yohabnikka?
당신은 큰 장면에 대한 서양 엑스트라가 필요합니까?

In the right light, I’m almost blonde. And I speak English! Like a native! Because I am a native.
oleunjjog bich eseo, naneun geoui geumbal ibnida. geuligo yeong-eo ! neitibeu cheoleom! naneun gibon igi ttaemun-ibnida.
오른쪽 빛에서, 나는 거의 금발입니다. 그리고 영어!네이티브처럼! 나는 기본이기 때문입니다.

No, I wouldn’t be able to understand the director.
ani, naega gamdog eul ihae haji moshal geos-ibnida.
아니, 내가 감독을 이해하지 못할 것입니다.

Yes, I might visibly drool if Yoon Si Yoon gets too close to me.
yun si yun jeoege neomu gakkai dodalhamyeon ne, gasijeog deulul su issseubnida.
윤시 윤 저에게 너무 가까이 도달하면 네, 가시적 드룰 수 있습니다.

I’d probably be able to restrain myself from tripping the female lead, though.
ama hajiman, yeoseong-ui lideuleul baesin eseo jasin-eul eogje hal su-iss-eul.
아마하지만, 여성의 리드를 배신에서 자신을 억제 할 수있을.

Pretty please with sugar on top?
yeppeun sangdan-e seoltang iss-eulkkayo?
예쁜 상단에 설탕 있을까요?

Thank you! You won’t regret it.
gamsahabnida! dangsin-eun geugeos-eul huhoe haji anhseubnida.
감사합니다! 당신은 그것을 후회하지 않습니다.

Call me noona, Yoon Si Yoon.
jeo noona, yun si yun jeonhwa
noona, 윤시 윤 전화

Has anyone ever told you that you’re even prettier in person?
amudo dangsin-i silmul-i hwolssin deo yeppeo issdaneun mal haessnayo?
아무도 당신이 실물이 훨씬 더 예뻐 있다는 말 했나요?

Well, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Because you are.
eum, nado nollass-eo hal sueobsneun geos gat-ayo. dangsin-i ttaemun-ibnida.
, 나도 놀랐어 할 수없는 것 같아요. 당신이 때문입니다.



A HOME VISIT

I know this is totally culturally insensitive, but it took me ten minutes to get these boots on. Do I really have to take them off?
i wanjeonhi munhwajeog-eulo munjaleul gubunhaji anhseubnida al-ayo,hajiman i bucheu leul eod-eul allyeo jwoss-eum haessda. jeongmal beosgo haeyahanayo?
이 완전히 문화적으로 문자를 구분하지 않습니다 알아요,하지만이 부츠를 얻을 알려 줬음했다. 정말 벗고해야하나요?

Can I try your shower?
dangsin-ui syawoleul sido hal su issseubnikka?
당신의 샤워를 시도 할 수 있습니까?

I think I would feel extra naked, standing there in the middle of the room shaving my legs.
naneun nae dalileul myeondohaneun moseub-eul sangsanghal su bang gaunde seo , nudeu chuga neukkil geos gat-ayo.
나는 내 다리를 면도하는 모습을 상상할 수 방 가운데 서, 누드 추가 느낄 것 같아요.

Do you have to put away the toilet paper first?
meonjeo hwajangsil hyujileul chiu haeyahanayo?
먼저 화장실 휴지를 치우해야하나요?

Wow. This table is really low.
wau. i teibeul-eun jeongmal najseubnida.
와우. 이 테이블은 정말 낮습니다.

My butt is numb.
eongdeong-ie gamgag-i issseubnida.
엉덩이에 감각이 있습니다.

I don’t think I can get up.
naneun il-eonal su issdago saeng-gag haji anhseubnida.
나는 일어날 수 있다고 생각하지 않습니다.

What the number for 119 again?
dasi 119 e daehan eotteon beonhoneun yo?
다시 119에 대한 어떤 번호는 요?


ALL-PURPOSE PHRASES

No, I don’t know Korean. I just watch a lot of dramas.
ani, naega hangug moleugess-eoyo. geunyang deulama leul manh-i bwa.
아니, 내가 한국 모르겠어요. 그냥 드라마를 많이 봐.

Please take care of me.
nal dolbwa jusigi balabnida.
날 돌봐 주시기 바랍니다.


* This post, like Google translate, is intended for entertainment purposes only. The author is neither legally nor morally responsible for anyone who attempts to use these phrases in the presence of someone who actually speaks Korean. You have been warned.

16 comments:

  1. lol :) About Western sized clothing ... a friend of mine (she is American) went to Singapore for a conference not long ago but her luggage didn't make it on the same day ... so she tried to buy a bra in one of the shops (because she really needed one for her presentation). the lady just looked at her chest and said: "I am sorry, but your size doesn't exist in the whole of Singapore"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's so funny. At least it was a bra she wanted and not underwear—there's something to be said for having the biggest boobs on the entire island, but the biggest butt? Not so much =X

      Delete
    2. It's actually possible to get E cups nowadays at normal shops or at least a DD. And even in the past, you could get bigger sizes at Mark and spencers or buy maternity bras. That shopkeeper was either lying or clueless cus she has no friends with big boobs.

      Delete
    3. this comment is belated but as a happily-flat-chested singaporean i still can't stop laughing at the salesperson's comment

      Delete
  2. *giggles uncontrollably* You know I read these posts when I'm at work! You WILL take responsibility when I fall out of my rolling chair and cause a scene, riiight?

    I think these are some good phrases to memorize, even if I don't make it to Korea anytime soon. People are always asking me if I know Korean, since I watch/hear so much Korean. *picks out the longest one* That'll sound impressive! No, they don't have to know it's about shaving my legs..

    Sadly, Korean speakers scare the crap out of me. I always want to greet or thank the people at my favorite Korean restaurant, but terrified that they'll laugh at my accent, or then ask me if/how I know Korean words.. Why is it that the idea me watching Korean dramas seem embarrassing if I admit it to an actual Korean?? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably I should add this to the phrasebook:

      But it's not my fault!
      hajiman nae jalmos-i aniya!
      하지만 내 잘못이 아니야!

      I can definitely imagine it coming in handy while out and about in Seoul.

      I would never actually try to speak Korean in public, even if I'm at the point where I sometimes understand things I overhear. I was at the local Korean restaurant last weekend, and when seating someone the waiter said "there" in Korean. My first response was to be all "He sounds just like Lee Sun Gyun in Pasta!" Only I said it in my head, thank heavens ;)

      Naturally I can't find it now, but there was a really interesting post here about how Koreans view Westerners who are obsessed with Asian culture. Understandably, it amounted to a mixture of amusement and annoyance. So I keep my Kdrama fangirling to myself whenever I can =X

      Delete
  3. LOLLLLLLLLL rolling on the floor (while discreetly writing down the drama filming location section. I WILL meet him some day). This post is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that trying the phrases in this post on someone who speaks Korean would be pretty funny—knowing Google translate, most of them turned out nothing like they started off. ("What do you mean, my purple octopus is handsome?")

      Delete
  4. LOL. this is all kinds of win! 내가 한국 모르겠어요. 그냥 드라마를 많이 봐.
    I also do not know Korean, and I just copied that off your post. I also watch a lot of dramas.

    I have this favorite ajumma who makes the most awesome kimchi, and we're at the "annyeonghaseyo... kamsahamnida" stage. I wish I can converse more because she's so nice.

    The other times I spoke Korean was at church, so they were all extremely gracious about it and commented on my pronunciation. LOLOLOL. And I even got a real-life Korean unni after that! Well, I practically forced her hand, because she thought she was a "gomo" instead of an "unni" to me. Welll, she looked ageless, so what can she say? lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my admittedly shaky grasp of the concept, she should be flattered to be an unni. You could have called her halmeoni ;)

      I wish there was some nice ajumma in my town who made kimchi. Even our Korean restaurant only serves it in stew format, which I just don't understand. The single most well-known dish in Korean cuisine seems like a natural fit for the menu.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha... I love the sauna, but i love them all. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BWA HA HA HA!!! I just laughed so hard!! Best post ever!! I totally just watched the second half of Coffee Prince over again yesterday. I would stand and stare "respectfully" any Gong Yoo's house with you any day :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already trying to carve out a few days over winter break for a Coffee Prince marathon. Will that show never give me my brain back?

      If we just happened to ask Gong Yoo if his "big enough" tattoo is real, and maybe to prove his answer, that would be respectful, right? ;)

      Delete
  7. I love this post! Viki gave us a similar topic for a guest post we just did, and we purposely tried to do a slightly different approach because we knew that we could never match the magic that was this post! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hysterical. Bon Iver. Fat Clothes. Paying extra to sleep on the floor. Clorine.
    Ha!

    I'd have to add to the dining out section, "So I should just let my post nasal drip free style?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete